At the moment we are dispatching on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Last orders for post 9am on that day.

Snapdragon blog

Five ways to step back from overwhelm

How to avoid overwhelm

Overwhelm - that familiar feeling of everything going too fast, there being too much to do, too many options, too many noisy opinions - is in many ways a justified reaction to the world we live in. We do live too fast. we do have too many options. And then there is the environmental mess we are in, and the state of world politics . . .

Wrapping ourselves up in a ball of overwhelm and hibernating under the duvet with a box set can seem the most sensible option.

And yet it is exhausting, joyless and guarantees that we get absolutely nothing done. It doesn't go away because we close the door and ignore it, it just gets worse.

I believe that Overwhelm - with the capital O - is like Burnout. It isn't until it has taken over your life that you notice it, and it isn't till you start to fight it that you see how big it is.

Last month I came off a coaching call with my business coach sobbing at the sheer difficulty of life. It had been a summer of stress, nothing major but a constant background of health and personal decisions and dead ends which, alongside the constant effort of running a business, and the crazy decisions that seem to be being made in the world, just wore me out.

The overwhelm left me unable to make the smallest decision, take the tiniest action. Everything seemed too hard. I wanted nothing more than a handy adult to come and make all decisions for me. And let me sleep.

I was incredibly lucky - the sobbing in bed happened three days before I went on holiday and I was able to take almost 2 weeks to reverse the overwhelm and begin again.

This is what I did.

1. Stop the influx.

A lot of my overwhelm came from external noise - politics, being in environmental Facebook groups, twitter, podcasts, instagram. It came from spending my time listening and absorbing and reacting rather than acting, researching and producing.

I went cold turkey - no podcasts telling me what to do, no rolling news, no Facebook Groups arguing or posting polarised views, no watching the car crash pettiness of twitter threads.

I still wanted to be informed - I feel that is the responsibility of a citizen - so I decided that if it involved drama in any way (the leaked reports, the close sources, the big clickbait headline) I would immediately switch off.

I used the off switch, the mute button, the opportunity to unfold and unsubscribe to remove the high pitched drama from my life.

Instead I read books. I missed precisely nothing.

2. Clear the mind.

For some people this is meditation or yoga or running. For me it is a thing called Soft Fascination.

Soft fascination is the the thing that happens to the brain when you sit still and watch something gently moving without a plot. The examples most often given are sunrise and sunset, waves on a beach - but it can equally be bees on flowers, or car lights on a road seen from a bridge, or clouds scudding across the sky. It just needs to be something where your eyes are engaged but your brain doesn't have to do any processing. Just sit and do nothing and watch for 15 minutes and feel your brain empty and relax.

I also really recommend Yoga Nidra - a guided meditation which encourages a state between conscious and unconscious.

I personally find the rhythm of walking engages my brain into complicated conversations so it doesn't work as soft fascination for me, but I understand that it works for people with a less argumentative mind.

3. Mind your language

Looking back, one of the clear signs that I was becoming overwhelmed was a change in the words I used to described things. The things I do everyday - in a life I have chosen because I love it - became 'chores'. The idea that it is 'a chore' to feed chickens or to harvest tomatoes is ridiculous - they are two of the great joys of my day.

I also began to big up my 'busy-ness'. In reality - when I am being true to myself - I do not rate being busy as a good thing. It is a term we often use to make ourselves feel useful, productive, important - whereas I do not believe that our personal value is in any ways related to how busy we are.

And yet - as the weeks went on I kept hearing myself describe how busy I was, how much there was to do . . .all those chickens . . . all those tomatoes . . .

It should have been a warning. Now I have removed 'busy' from the words I will use to describe my day - because the alternatives 'full', 'engaged', 'active' all sound so much cheerier.

4. Curb Your To Do list.

In much the same way as the words I was using, my to do list should have been a warning. I began to put everything on there - not just the things I needed to remember. So routine things, things I do every single day without planning or thinking - like feeding the animals, lighting the fires, doing laundry, making beds, cooking - went onto my to do list. And suddenly it looked massive, daunting, overwhelming - just reading through it made me want to nap. Just because it was down there in an external bossy form.

Now I don't have a To Do list, instead I have a Priorities list - 3 things that are priorities for that day - alongside any reminders (which get their own column). Once they are done, I'm done.

And surprise, surprise the animals have not starved and the house is not freezing and I've not felt as though I'm being bossed about by a list of chores.

5. Take action.

Just as Overwhelm is the enemy of action - making us exhausted and passive - so Action is the enemy of Overwhelm. I resolved that in all the areas where I feel overwhelm I take action. One of the things that was overwhelming me was options - how do you know that this particular action is the best way to make a difference when the scale of issues is so big? How do I know where to begin in making the changes to the website when there are so many things wrong?

I resolved that it matters less what the action is than that I take action. Any action.

And that I surround myself with other people taking action too. Getting on with things.

I would love to hear about your experience with overwhelm and what you have done to get over it. You can either leave a comment or email me Jane@snapdragonlife.com

Comments: 9 (Add)

Heike Gittins on October 11 2019 at 09:45

Dear Jane,

At least once a year I used to get to the pint of overload and overwhelm but towards the end of last year I made some conscious decisions about some of the reasons why and this year I have felt much better because of it.
I unsubscribed from almost all outside influences like Twitter and Facebook groups and also had a really good clean-up on who I follow on my Instagram.
I power walk to clear my head and, like you, I make time for soft fascination at least once a day. This is one of my favourite things to do and I find it really calms and settles my brain.
I like your idea of calling the dreaded To-Do List a Priority List and I think I will change that starting next week.
I truly love finding your newsletter in my inbox and reading your blog, so pleased I found you.
Warm hug from Wales, Heike x

Jane Lindsey on October 11 2019 at 11:11

Thank you Heike - I am very much hoping that I will be able to recognise the warning signs and that incorporating a lot of intentional anti-overwhelm methods into my life like you will help prevent it happening again.
J xx

Becky on October 11 2019 at 12:47

I am sitting here reading this and feeling a direct connect with my state of mind at the moment! I have done nothing today as I've sort of paralysed myself - cant even settle to read, just letting time pass in a state of unfocused agitation.
So what to do???
I have just gone through my diary and checked everything that needs to be is actually in there and not hurtling round my head like a piece of space junk on very weird and unpredictable orbit!
I have put on some washing and released the Hoover from the cobwebs concerning it!
I have made a priorities list.
I am sorting out the books by my bed so that I'm not overwhelmed by my tbr pile.
Small steps, but thank you for your post- ot has come at the perfect time for me!

Jane Lindsey on October 11 2019 at 12:54

Thanks for commenting Becky - I think that so many of us are feeling this way at the moment - probably because we seem to be powerless over things done in our names by politicians and big companies.
I hope you manage to pull yourself out of your overwhelm - much love, J xx

Trudie on October 11 2019 at 13:22

Hi Jane,
Thank you for articulating what so many of us feel. The part about “busyness” defining your worth struck a chord.
I

Jane Brumwell on October 12 2019 at 05:51

Hi Jane! You sure hit a cord with me! Overwhelm (with a capital O!) has been building for a while (in a stealth fashion!) but hit with full force the end of August. My work life was going to change drastically and I was massively overwhelmed! I am of the thought that when I get knocked down in life, I need to give myself time to play in that dirt I’m sitting in! I take time to process my emotions as I know if I don’t they will overwhelm me later. Today, the uncertainty about my work role is still the same, but my approach is much more positive (for me!). It isn’t always easy, but I try to focus on what I can do and not what I can’t. Thank you for providing some more tools to help me deal with overwhelm!

Jane Lindsey on October 13 2019 at 09:18

Thank you Trudie - I think that it is quite an overwhelming time for many of us - the feeling that things are beyond our influence; Much love,
Jane

Jane Lindsey on October 13 2019 at 10:32

Hi Jane - what a lovely way to think of it - playing in the dirt. good luck with dealing with your new work role;
J x

Alison on October 13 2019 at 14:28

Love this Jane . I call it saturation but much prefer your description and how to take action . Will be taking a leaf out of your book . Thank you

Snapdragon social

Today is the last day to become a member of Snapdragon Studio for a while. I close the doors to new members at midnight. ⠀
⠀
I actually took the decision a couple of months ago, while doing @simpleandseason ‘s excellent course The Playbook, when I realised that I really wanted to work with a settled group of members instead of constantly looking for new ones.⠀
⠀
Now the decision seems even more right, the opportunity to hunker down and support each other through this. ⠀
⠀
The plans I had set out at the beginning of February aren’t the right ones now, so I need to make new ones, and this gives me a chance to make new plans together. ⠀
⠀
Tomorrow I’m going to be sending out a survey to members to see what their new circumstances are and what would be most useful. ⠀
⠀
If you had thought about joining then you can still find all the details on www.snapdragonlife.com today or DM me.
Twelve thousand years ago, when Loch Lomond was frozen solid, glaciers grinding out the soil, the ridge where I live would have been the outermost bank, the bit reaches just as the ice retreated. The terminal moraine. ⠀
⠀
This has become my daily walk - the fields falling away on either side of the road, hills circling in the distance, blues and greys and increasingly bright olive greens. ⠀
⠀
And now lambs. An animated landscape.
Last week Euan forwarded me a spoof article about “Middle Class Quarantine”, people making sourdough bread, transforming the flower border into a vegetable patch, collecting eggs from their flock of bantams. ⠀
⠀
This is Caspar, the head of my flock of bantams. ⠀
⠀
I’ve never felt so privileged in my life as I do now (and I’m a pretty privileged person at the best of times). ⠀
⠀
Part of it is the gift of having space, of being able to walk out into beautiful countryside from my front door, of having a studio in my garden so that I can keep working. A proper spare room to move into, an extra bathroom and back door. ⠀
⠀
But it’s more than just the circumstances of the life we have built here - it goes right to the core of me, the luck of having a temperament happy to work alone, of having grown up daughters who came home and get on with each other.  It is being an introvert, getting my energy from being by myself, my comfort from cooking and gardening and making things, the way I always, always have food in the cupboard. ⠀
⠀
I look out from my isolation here and I see the gaps opening wider and wider in society with this and it frightens and terrifies me. When we get out again we will have so much work to do. ⠀
There is something so 'Old Mastery' about fritillaries I think. ⁠⠀
⁠⠀
I planted (or more accurately @eileentisdall planted) hundreds of fritillaries under the plum trees and they are beginning to bloom.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
We also potted some up for indoors and kept them in the cold greenhouse - and I planted those ones into these tea cups as soon as they had full buds.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
Once the flowers are over they will join the others in the orchard.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
If you want to try this - with any small bulbs - you can dig them up from the garden and bring indoors temporarily, water lightly (remember there is no drainage), top with moss and keep coolish.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
Watching bulbs unfurl and bloom is a wonderful way to take advantage of having to stay indoors more.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
Like many people I have been racking my brain as to what I can do to help.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
I am stuck here so I can't deliver or run errands, I'm not a natural maker of cheerful phone calls and it will be a good few weeks before anything I am growing is actually ready.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
I do however have a Royal Mail pick up in place - on Tuesdays and Thursdays from the garage - and it seemed that I should make use of that while I have access to it.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
All things on our website can be sent direct with free gift wrap and a card - and, more importantly I think, I am also hand drawing cards and sending them with your message inside (or letter - I can print it out and put it inside the card). ⁠⠀
⁠⠀
For members I am only charging postage, for everyone else there is a minimal charge to cover supplies.  The details are on the front page of my website www.snapdragonlife.com.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
I know that my elderly relatives are oblivious to all things digital, all the ways that I keep in touch with friends, have passed them by and I do worry about how isolated they must be. ⁠⠀
⁠⠀
A letter through the mail might make someone's day so much brighter.
One of my blessings at the moment  is that my daily walk is along the road that passes through our neighbours’ farm. ⠀
⠀
A sheepy maternity unit, where the heavy, still sheep of one day will be joined by bright, bouncing, tumbling lambs the next. ⠀
Lupin - in a halo of light here - has recently become top cat in the house. ⠀
⠀
Minou, my morning cat, has given up the job reluctantly in a flurry of spats over the past 6 months. ⠀
⠀
What has been fascinating is how Lupin has not changed his routine, he still sleeps 90% of the day moving only to keep in the sun and to eat, yet he has mysteriously transformed into a  massive and dense ball of fluff coated muscle. ⠀
⠀
It just shows how much is in the mind and the role taken on. ⠀
⠀
This weekend I was very down, worried about what comes next for NHS staff, frustrated at the thoughtless actions of others.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
Today though, I have decided to draw a line.  I cannot change anyone's behaviour.  I doubt that the people who watch my stories are the same people who are treating this pandemic as a Bank Holiday.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
Instead I'm going to try and produce as many useful things as I can.  On Friday I published a blog about all the things that you can do to bring the feeling of the outside into your home.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
It is actually a piece I originally wrote about chronic illness and the fatigue that can trap you indoors, but it has a wider use now I think.  It is about the science behind the way that our brains perceive nature and how you can get a lot of the wellbeing effects of being outside without leaving your home.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
The blog is on the home page of my website - www.snapdragonlife.com - and you can get to it via my profile too.⁠⠀
⁠⠀
If you have any other tips please comment and I can add them in.
snapdragon.life
FacebookTwitterPinterest

About Snapdragon

At Snapdragon we gently guide you through bringing the changing seasons into your daily life, helping you slow down, so that you can experience increased well being, calm and creativity.

Through our communities, both free and paid for, through Jane's writing on the blog, through carefully hand crafted gifts and activity kits, and through our online and in-person workshops we aim to bring people back in touch with the rhythms of a seasonal life.

Learn more about why here