Seasonally inspired things to Learn, Make and Do

Journal

Word of the Year 2021

teasels and sunset - Snapdragon Studio

Normally it takes me ages to decide on a word to take me through the year.

I will begin the search in mid December - writing lists, walking, meditating, perhaps going through a little course like Susannah Conway's - and then sometime over the Festive period, often on Hogmanay itself, a word will settle out of my sifting thoughts. A word whose particular meaning resonates with what I want to bring into my life.

The word I picked for 2020 was 'soar'. The image of the buzzard that roosts by the Studio was in my mind - soaring high against the blue, free and easy.

Mine was not a 'girl boss' version of soaring, it wasn't full of ambition or striving, I wasn't standing in front of the bathroom mirror proclaiming 'I will soar'.

Rather it was a 'riding the thermals' interpretation. Soar for me was a 'take it easy' word.

Soar turned out to be the perfect word to carry me through this weird and rootless year - a reminder that taking the easiest path, going with the flow, is often most effective. A reminder that doing less and being intentional is often the right thing. It helped me accept a lot of things that I would normally have railed against in a very exhausting way. It helped me develop patience - the buzzard will wait and watch for the moment to launch himself into the air. It gave me a measure of trust.

But now - as I begin to feel hopeful for 2021 - I find my word for the year is already here. I don't need to go searching for it. It has moved into my brain and made itself at home.

My word for 2021 is Enough. Enough for me means

• Deciding what is enough in my business, my life, my plans, my income and letting that free me from the feeling of never being done.
  • Recognising that I am enough as I am. My body, my mind, my health - all enough, exactly as they are now, not as I wish they were.
  • Drawing a line and saying that I have had enough - enough of corruption and cronyism, enough of the way we treat people and our fellow beings, enough of the 'this is just the way it is' assumptions. Enough. (And then it means doing something to improve things.)

I would love to know in the comments if you choose a word and, if so, what difference you have found it makes.

Tags: life

Comments: 7 (Add)

Stephanie Brickwood on December 4 2020 at 10:19

Hi Jane ,not tried this practice before but can honestly say Enough has been a bit of guiding light for me ! With that in mind it's probably time to have that in the background and find another word !Once again thankyou for inspiring thoughts and deeds ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š

Ruth Singer on December 4 2020 at 11:43

Oh yes that's a great wholistic word to guide you. Mine this year was balance which was about right. Next year is Share, which has so many resonances for me in work and outside.

Angela on December 4 2020 at 18:48

Evening Jane, I've not consciously had a word in mind, however, for the past few years I've found myself saying 'Breathe'. Perhaps this year I will give this ritual some considerations, although I have to say Breath has served me well, but having read your journal am interested to see if a word reveals itself to me....

Kelly Cheesley on December 4 2020 at 20:56

This year mine was Cultivate. It’s about taking slow and gentle steps towards a goal, growing something special and only dealing with one thing at a time.

I’ve not started thinking about next years word yet so thank you for the prompt.

Brenda on December 6 2020 at 14:09

For the past few years I have had a word for the year. It has given me focus. I think of my word (I actually made an oracle card of it) and try to embrace/live it. 2020 it was fierce. That word pushed me to do a few things I had thought about but wasn't ready for (might never have been ready for). Looking forward to thinking of my 2021 word.

Sue Adlam on December 6 2020 at 23:08

Enough sounds like a fine word! One that I have been trying to embrace for some time.... 2021 is the year to go with it instead of constantly striving. I need to just be. Thank you for your words of wisdom and inspiration Jane. Sue x

Andrea Thomas on December 7 2020 at 20:51

Thank you. Word of the year has been sitting quietly in the back of my mind, rattling abit occasionally but my word settled in my lap yesterday and I held it.
GRATITUDE
I’m full of it and more keeps coming as now I am aware of it. I have a year to mull over it and add to my list. You were apart of this, so thank you muchly ๐Ÿ’œ

Snapdragon social

The sun room table, an old enamel basin, hazel twigs and pure glamour from green tinged white trumpets.โ โ €
I looked up yesterday lunchtime and the garden was full of sunshine. โ โ €
โ โ €
There are a few places in the (very messy) house where keeping a bit of negative space, clear surfaces, a sense of breathing out pays off.  This white table is one of them.โ โ €
โ โ €
I took this on Sunday, disappointingly it is currently cluttered up with things (a nest, two candles, a box of matches, some receipts) to take down to the Studio.
Over the past year I have become increasingly uncomfortable about how we talk about the seasons to the point that I feel I need to say something.โ โ €
โ โ €
I'm particularly uncomfortable about how we talk about using the seasons as a life guide.  I can understand why this has happened - it is great, easily understood marketing, it is a ready built structure, I'm sure it helps the people who are desperately in need of rules and timetables at the moment.โ โ €
โ โ €
But it is rooted in a very particular idea of what seasons look like - particularly the 4 defined seasons of the UK, Europe and North America;โ โ €
โ โ €
Which would be fine if people were talking about their local area, the view from their window.  But that doesn't seem to be the case - this seasonal structure is built up into a programme to follow, the language is very much that 'this is the correct way to think about life'.โ โ €
โ โ €
But, if you are saying that the dormant season is the time to rest and recuperate, what does that say about countries where the seasons don't look like that.  Is there to be no rest? Is everyone to adopt the seasons in the UK as the 'correct' version? โ โ €
โ โ €
Language matters, because language is where our assumptions lie.โ โ €
โ โ €
โ The photo is of a rose hip - rose hips are the only berries left in the hedges now.  I used to think that it was because they tasted spiky that the birds left them till there were no other options but recently I found that they have the least calories.  The ivy, rowan and hawthorns produce the Kendal mint cake of berries - perfect for seeing the birds through the cold - so get eaten first.โ โ €
There is a lot of talk at the moment about what 'seasonal flowers' means - the wonderful @wolveslaneflowercompany have been addressing the issue and they have a great story thread exploring the issue saved in their highlights.โ โ €
โ โ €
It was a thing that used to bother me a lot when I grew flowers because I only ever sold flowers that grew here, that was the whole point of the business - and in Scotland seasons are very late. I spent a lot of time explaining to brides that not everything is available at every time of the year. โ โ €
โ โ €
I didn't ever have cut flowers until April.  I missed both Valentines and Mother's Day. โ โ €
โ โ €
This is what I have as flowers in my home through January and February - glamorous, long lasting, amaryllis bulbs are on every surface. โ โ €
โ โ €
Elsewhere cut hazel twigs in jam jars are taking over the windowsills. next week I may add in some snowdrops.
Yesterday I sent out a newsletter about extractivism - about the human tendency to push and exploit and keep extracting until we end up with a husk.โ โ €
โ โ €
It was sparked by conversations I had after the Oxford Real Farming Conference and a realisation that there is a thread that ties colonialism, industrial farming, privatisation of services and the way we often treat ourselves.โ โ €
โ โ €
I've been having such interesting conversations with the people who replied.โ โ €
โ โ €
I resend my newsletters to new subscribers on Sundays so if you want to sign up you can click through my profile to the website front page.โ โ €
โ โ €
We have been frozen here for a while - the top inch of ground thawed yesterday, but under that was rock hard.  Most of the garden is a low flood of slush floating on ice.โ โ €
โ โ €
The hardy annual plants I sowed in late September and transplanted in October are currently under snow but looking pretty terminal.  The temperature in the polytunnel went down to -6 last week and the salad crops turned to mush.โ โ €
Were I remotely self sufficient it would be proving a hard winter.โ โ €
โ โ €
But I'm not, so I just add more plants to my sowing plan - sowing seeds is my favourite thing - and admire the beauty of the hoar frost, and feel happy that I have food in the store cupboard and logs in the woodpile and a big pile of books by me.
'See a pin and pick it up and all the day you'll have good luck'.โ โ €
โ โ €
I have been embroidering a tiny run of linen needle/pin cases to go into the shop tomorrow - and I have embroidered this rhyme inside them - a reminder of the time when pins were made by hand and were to be treasured and looked after. โ โ €
โ โ €
It gives a new appreciation to the term 'pin money' too - the modern kinds of pins, shiny in their plastic box that have made us assume that the term meant a small amount, left over change for fripperies. โ โ €
โ โ €
In reality it was used as an alternative name for a household allowance - the amount of which was often laid out in the marriage contract - and was the money that a woman had complete legal control over. If it was unpaid a woman could sue her husband or his estate for back pay.
Allium Chistophii are rolling around under the espalier apple trees in the vegetable patch. โ €
โ €
I always hope for a little light self seeding as they go. โ €
โ €
Now they are like glittery tumbleweeds in the frost. โ €
โ €
In truth we bought the airstream to avoid a divorce.โ โ €
โ โ €
We bought it on Ebay late at night after sharing a bottle of wine.โ โ €
โ โ €
At the time I was running a business from the house - from a house that was about half the size it is now, a jumble of tiny rooms, painted plywood floors, two small children and a high level of sticky chaos.โ โ €
โ โ €
I am not a tidy enough person to run a business in a home - even had it been a well run home with storage space - and those years were not remotely well run.  My invoices always had cereal stuck to them, my sewing machine was parked at the end of the dining table, 90% of my working time seemed to be spent looking for something that I was sure had been left 'just there'.โ โ €
โ โ €
So we looked for something that we could afford so I could move the business out of the house - we priced up a chalet style home office from B & Q - and then, on Ebay, we saw the airstream, badly damaged, vandalised, forlorn.  It came in cheaper than the shoffice . . . .โ โ €
โ โ €
For a few years - before I built the Studio - this was my workspace and since then it has become a storage area and been sadly neglected while I tried to save the money to repair the damaged back window and the sagging floor.โ โ €
โ โ €
This weekend we began clearing out all the fabric that was stored in it so that the renovation can begin.  I am very excited.
snapdragon.life
FacebookTwitterPinterest

About Snapdragon Life

At Snapdragon Life I gently guide you through bringing the changing seasons into your daily life, helping you slow down, so that you can experience increased well being, calm and creativity.

Learn more about why here